Throughout history, many countries have risen and fallen, with some fading away from memory entirely. Here are 10 countries that most people don't know no longer exist:
1. Prussia: A German kingdom that existed from the 1700s until the end of World War I. The kingdom was dissolved after the war and its territories were divided between Germany, Poland, and the Soviet Union.
2. Sikkim: A small kingdom in the Himalayas that existed until 1975, when it was annexed by India.
3. Rhodesia: A self-declared republic in southern Africa that existed from 1965 to 1979. It was later renamed Zimbabwe after gaining independence from British colonial rule.
4. East Germany: A communist state that existed from 1949 to 1990. It was dissolved after the fall of the Berlin Wall and reunited with West Germany to form a unified country.
5. Yugoslavia: A federal socialist state that existed from 1945 to 1992. It was dissolved after a series of ethnic conflicts led to the breakup of the country into several independent states.
6. Ceylon: A British colony in South Asia that gained independence in 1948 and was renamed Sri Lanka in 1972.
7. Tibet: A Buddhist kingdom in the Himalayas that existed until 1950, when it was invaded by China and became an autonomous region of China.
8. Czechoslovakia: A country in central Europe that existed from 1918 to 1993. It was peacefully dissolved into the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
9. Westphalia: A region in western Germany that was once a sovereign state in the Holy Roman Empire. It ceased to exist in 1806 when the empire was dissolved by Napoleon.
10. Basutoland: A British protectorate in southern Africa that gained independence in 1966 and was renamed Lesotho.
These are just a few examples of countries that have disappeared from the map, often due to political changes or the shifting sands of history. While their names may no longer be familiar, the legacies of these former nations can still be felt in the cultures and traditions of the regions they once occupied.
Content created and supplied by: Victor_Klutse (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More