The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) recently published the 2020 edition of its democracy index.The index is self-described as intending to measure the state of democracy in 167 countries, of which 166 are sovereign states and 164 are UN member states. it is based on 1. Whether national elections are free and fair
2. The security of voters
3. The influence of foreign powers on government.
4. The capability of the civil servants to implement policies.
1. Mauritius: It is considered the most Democratic country in the entire African continent. They amassed a score of 8.14. The country is located in East Africa with Port Louis as their capital. It placed 20th globally.
2. Cape Verde: With a democracy index points of 7.65 , they are the second most democratic country in Africa. They are ranked 32nd worldwide.
3. Botswana: They are the third most democratic country in Africa. They had a democracy index of 7.62. They are placed 33rd on the global scale.
4. South Africa: They scored a total of 7.05 as democracy index point. They are the fourth most democratic country in Africa and 45th world wide.
5. Namibia : They are 5th on the list with a total points of 6.52. Namibia is ranked 58th on the global democracy index.
6. Ghana: Ghana is the 6th most democratic country in Africa. Globally, they are placed 59th and had a democracy index point of 6.5.
7. Lesotho: With a score of 6.3, they are the 7th most democratic country in Africa and ranked 64th worldwide.
8. Malawi: They are 8th on the list with a score of 5.74. Globally they are ranked at 64th.
9. Madagascar : Scoring a democracy index point of 5.7, they are ranked on the African continent as the 9th most democratic country and 85th in the world rankings.
10. Senegal: The West African country completes the list with a total score of 5.67.They are the tenth most democratic country in Africa and 86th in the whole world.
Content created and supplied by: Currentworldnews (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More