The fund is expected to be disbursed to the leadership of the associations in 2021 whereby 75 per cent of the amount would be dedicated to apprenticeship training and the remaining 25 per cent would be used to support persons to set up their businesses after undergoing the training successfully.
The Deputy Minister of Education, Mrs Gifty Twum Ampofo has stated that this move is part of government’s program dubbed ‘Ghana Jobs and Skill Development Programme’.
She made this known at the graduation ceremony organized by the Ghana Hairdressers and Beauticians Associations, Greater Accra Branch on Wednesday, October 14 2020.
“I am not saying this money is in the pipeline. Parliament has approved, World Bank has approved and all we are waiting for is the year 2021,” she said.
This year, 136 apprentices have successfully graduated following written and apprenticeship training in the Greater Accra region. The Training involved chemical practicals such as chemical hair relaxing practicals, braiding practicals and proficiency in relaxing.
Addressing graduates at the ceremony, President of Ghana Hairdressers and Beauticians Association, Ms Bernice Asantewaa Asantey said that technology and innovative techniques have made it possible for stylists to pursue new avenues of creativity and clients’ service.
In a bid to make the trade more attractive to students in the country and in the sub-region, she disclosed that the associations will upgrade its Technical and Vocational Education Training (TVET), Council for Technical Education and Vocational Training (COTEVT), National Vocational Training Institute (NVTI) certificates.
"For our approach to the 21st century, GHABA Greater Accra will be upgrading our NVTI, TVET, COTVET certificates to make our trade more attractive to graduates from senior high schools, polytechnics, universities and colleges in the ECOWAS sub-region," she added.
Ms Bernice Asantewaa Asantey further called on government to support the associations with tools, equipment, logistics and an enabling environment to improve the profession and create more jobs in the country.
It is worth noting that the Ghana Hairdressers and Beauticians Associations was one of the first bodies to join the informal sector of the Industrial and Commercial Workers Union (ICU).
Content created and supplied by: Ayertey (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More