The Ghana Education Service released a letter reminding all teaching staff that it strictly prohibits the use of corporal punishment owing to the fact that recently there have been some cases where there was excessive canning meted out on school children. A succinct fresh example is the case of Jachie Pramso, where a headmaster canned a girl and the pictures of the girl bruises took over the social media.
In contrast, there has been a major cry by teachers, parents and other stake holders about the increasingly indiscipline in our schools.It was recently reported that A final year student of Three Town Senior High School (SHS) near Denu in the Ketu South Municipality has stabbed his teacher just because the teacher was trying to prevent him from bullying his junior.
With the recent indiscipline in schools and increase in corporal punishment, this article analyze whether GES Ban on the above subject is the major cause or not.
What is Corporal Punishment?
To better understand wether the ban on Corporal punishment is the major cause of Indiscipline, let's look at the following.
Corporal punishment is the intentional use of physical force to cause bodily pain or discomfort as a penalty for unacceptable behavior. It includes Spanking or canning, hitting, slapping, pinching, ear pulling, jabbing and others.
Is the GES Ban on Corporal Punishment The Major Cause of Indiscipline?
To answer the above question, it's better to draw out both good and ugly side of corporal punishment in schools.
Why The Need For Corporal Punishment?
1. Corporal punishment sets clear boundaries and motivates children to behave in schools: Many Ghanaian children are better able to make decisions about their behavior, exercise self-control, and be accountable for their actions when they understand the penalty they face for misbehaving is comparable to their actions.
2. Corporal punishment helps make children obedient, respectful, polite, etc. In the absence of corporal punishment, children likely go wild.
3. Corporal punishment in school makes students take their studies seriously and also helps keep the students under control.
4. Authorities are able to instill discipline in children through the use of corporal punishment in schools.
Disadvantages of Corporal Punishment
1. It is very hurtful and can cause severe injuries to a child. This is the reason why in so many places it has been banned in schools.
2. Corporal punishment strikes severe fear in the hearts and minds of students
3. It can be very counterproductive in the sense that it can sometimes make children hardened and no longer afraid.
4. Corporal punishment can scar children or disfigure them for life – both physically and mentally.
From the above, the clear answer is that there are several causes of Indiscipline in school. Although ban on Corporal Punishment is a cause of Indiscipline in schools but not only the major cause. Parents upbringing, influence of social media and some negative teachers behavior are equally a contributing factors. Corporal punishment has a huge disadvantage when it goes wrong.
Content created and supplied by: Currentworldnews (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More