Ghanaian actor and farmer, John Dumelo has described the decision of the Management of the Ghana Law School (GLS) to reject some 499 candidates who sat for the 2021 law school entrance examination as unfair and biased.
The popular actor reacting to the GLS decision in on his official Facebook page said “the 499 students who passed the law exams should be offered admission. It’s not fair…..it’s not fair.”
Mr Dumelo’s comment comes after the 499 students who said passed the law entrance test but were failed for reasons not clear to them petitioned the Speaker of Ghana Parliament to summon the GLS Management for questions.
The appeal made by the National Union of Ghana Students (NUGS) on behalf of the students has asked Speaker of parliament Alban S. Kingsford Bagbin to investigate the mass failure recorded in the law entrance examination.
“Some students from the scores released by the GLC who passed the exams as per the 50% threshold are now deemed to be failed due to new regulation which required students to get 50% in each of the two sections in the Law
We wish to petition your high office to order the Council to appear before the Constitutional, Legal and Parliamentary Affairs Committee with raw scores of the examination from this year and last year,” NUGS said in a letter to Bagbin.
It further said the examination conducted by the Independent Examinations Committee of the General Legal Council (GLC) has so far not been transparent to the public, hence the need for the examination results to be examined.
“Mr Speaker there is a need for Parliament to investigate the perception that the examinations are not a reflection of students performance but drawbridge to limit access to legal education,” leadership of NUGS urged Kingsford Bagbin.
The National Union said the General Counsel directed the 790 passed students to complete the submission of relevant documents by Thursday, October 14, 2021, leaving the fate of the 499 ‘failed’ students in their hands.
Content created and supplied by: Currentworldnews (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More