College of Education in Ghana have had a very interesting begining in it's pioneering. Today, Colleges of Education have become the professional institutions that train teachers who teach students as the process of imparting knowledge continues. Admissions have become competitive, and new methods as well as practices have also been introduced.
Many people beleive that everything nice and benefitial has always been situated in the urban areas, like Kumasi or Accra. But looking back in the books of history in the area of Colleges of Education, it is not the same story. Whereas other academic institutions sprang embarked from the urban centres and sprung to the rural areas, this is the contrary for Colleges of Education. This portal therefore deem it necessary to give you some information about the first college of education that was built in Ghana and it's strategic location.
The first College of Education and at the same time the first institution of higher education in Ghana was founded by the Basel Mission as the Basel Mission Seminary on 3 July 1848 and fondly referred to as the "Mother of Our Schools." at Akropong, a town in South Ghana and and the current capital of the Akuapim North District, Eastern Region (Akropong was the site of a mission station run by the Basel Mission). The college was the first institution of higher learning to be established to train teacher-catechists for the eventual Presbyterian Church of the Gold Coast. Per the records available, the college said to be the second oldest higher educational institution in early modern West Africa after Sierra Leone’s Fourah Bay College, founded in 1827. For more than 50 years, it remained the only teacher training institution in the then Gold Coast. It is affiliated to the Presbyterian Church of Ghana. The Basel Missionaries who originated mainly from Switzerland and Germany established the college.
The school was established five years after the Basel Mission started the country’s first primary school in 1843. The Basel Mission, and later the Presbyterian Church of Ghana also led pioneering efforts in establishing hundreds of primary and secondary schools.
The College which started with an initial enrollment figure of 5 students in 1848, now has a student population of 1,268 as of 2008. The College has the tradition of celebrating renowned achievements on milestone occasions: Thousands of highly skilled and exceptionally disciplined educationists have passed out of the College, and have contributed immensely to the development of Ghana not only as teachers, but also as economists, politicians, lawyers, bankers, industrialists, journalists and clergymen. The College contributed to the staffing of the University of Ghana when it was established in 1948.
Unlikeike in recent times, the college started with a five-year teacher’s certificate course and later run programmes which included the Cert ‘A’ 4-year course, 2-year Cert ‘B’ the 2-year Post ‘B’, 2-year Post-Secondary, 3-year Post Secondary and 2-year Specialist course in Science, Agriculture and Special Education. The College runs a three-year Diploma in Basic Education programme which started in 2004. It is among the fifteen Science designated colleges in the country.
It is now a fully-fledged public institution with the Ghana Education Service system under the auspices of the Government of Ghana. Initially, the plan was to upgrade the college to a university but that idea was abandoned after the church founded the Presbyterian University College in 1998.
The College have produced notable alumni including Edward Akufo-Addo, father of Ghana's current president, Solomon Osei-Akoto, Emmanuel Charles Quist and many other educationists.
Content created and supplied by: PoliticalNewsRoom (via Opera News )