Not until recently, academic achievements of President of the United States of America was not a major factor in deciding who was elected to the presidency by the electorates.
Though not a constitutional requirement, the educational background of Presidents the world over are now a major element of increasing their chances of winning. Preferably, higher education in the form of a minimum College degree or better.
Amazingly, several individuals have found their way to the White house whereas they never had a college degree or a higher education to speak of.
A list of Presidents Without College Degrees.
1. George Washington: The first President of the US never took college courses but did earn a surveyor's certificate.
Nonetheless he believed strongly in formal education. In his will, he left money and/or stocks to support three educational institutions.
2. James Monroe: James didn't graduate from William & Mary College though he attended the school. He was the 5th President of the US.
3. Andrew Jackson: Andrew Jackson did not have a college degree and didn't attend college either. He was President from March 4, 1829 – March 4, 1837. He was the 7th President of the US.
4. Martin Van Buren: Martin did not attend college so had no college degree. He was the 8th President of the United States of America.
5. William Henry Harrison: He attended both Hampden-Sydney College and the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine; he didn't graduate from either.
He was the 9th President of the US.
6. Zachary Taylor: Taylor did not attend college. He was the US's 12th President from March 4, 1849 – July 9, 1850
7. Millard Fillmore: He was President from July 9, 1850 – March 4, 1853 and 13th president. Millard did not attend college.
8. Abraham Lincoln: The 16th POTUS did not attend college and for that matter does not have a college degree.
9. Andrew Johnson: He was the 17th President from April 15, 1865 – March 4, 1869. Andrew did not attend college.
10.Grover Cleveland: The 22nd and 24th President of the US did not attend college.
11. William McKinley: William studies at Allegheny College and Albany Law School but did not graduate from either and so wasn't awarded a degree. He was the 25th POTUS.
12. Harry S. Truman: Harry took courses at Spalding's Commercial College and the University of Kansas City School of Law but didn't earn degrees from either. He was the 33rd President.
Since Truman, all other President who have been voted to the White house have at least a college degree.
While educational prowess might be an important card to play in modern day politics, it wasn't so some years back.
Constitutionally, a College degree is not a requirement.
A college degree may help one get thier desired job or pursue ones career but it takes more than just a college degree to be successful.
Content created and supplied by: Abrantie22 (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More