The ritual of organizing a naming ceremony for a child is very important in the context of Ghanaians. It is the first time the child comes in contact with his society.
1. The naming ceremony is an occasion during which the child is given an IDENTITY. Until a ceremony is organized to give a name to a baby, the child does not have a name by which it can be identified.
2. Naming ceremony is an occasion of welcoming the baby into the physical world. Until the day a child is named, it is still regarded as a spiritual being and as a result, when it dies before naming, society is not allowed to mourn.
3. It also presents an opportunity for the husband to honour the wife. During naming ceremonies in the presence of family, husbands take advantage to appreciate their wives.
4. Naming ceremony is a means of family reunion. At naming occasions, both sides of the family come together.
5. It is an occasion to showcase the fertility of couples. During naming ceremony, all people gathered get an evidence to testify the fertility level of the couples.
6. The occasion is used to ask for protection, blessings, long life, guidance into the child through the pouring of libation.
7. It is a means of imparting moral values into the child. For example, the Akan ritual of dropping alcohol and water on the tongue of baby imparts truthfulness onto the child.
Is African culture not beautiful?
Follow and comment for more stories.
Content created and supplied by: Jmahama (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More