Surnames developed as a way to categorize people by profession, place of birth, clan association, patronage, parentage, adoption, and even physical characteristics in the past. The 'Ewe' people are found all over Ghana, but their homeland is the Volta Region.
However, we can have literal meaning as follows:
1. Amenyo — Human is good
2. Ametefe — Replacement (a son whose father died before his birth).
3. Amewu/Amewuga — Human is more precious than money.
4. Domenyo — Kindness or Kind hearted.
5. Dzorgbenyui — Good luck.
6. Ganyo — Money is good
7. Mawuenyega — God is greatest
8. Ametame — No one knows what the other thinks.
9. Sevor— Bad law.
11. Fiadzo— The king is gone.
12 Fiagbor— The king has arrived.
13. Hoenyame — Money rules.
14. Dugah— Big city.
15. Dunya — Issues of the town.
16. Kuzagbe — The day of death/departure.
17. Gbekor — Crack the hills.
18. Golomeke — Sand in the bag.
19. Seshie — No more laws.
20. Xebidzi — Angry bird.
21. Amegayibor — The big dark man.
22. Ahiador— Doomed love.
23. Amevor — Extinction in the family.
24. Agbavitor— Small scale business owner.
25. Amekudzi — Angry man.
Content created and supplied by: SenamAma (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More