Friday, 3rd September 2021
Judges for TV3's reality show, Ghana's Most Beautiful have been accused by a section of Ghanaians of bias. The beauty pageant show which is televised live every Sunday after the evening news bulletin gives contestants the opportunity to show to the world what their regions have to offer. Viewers are also afforded the opportunity to decide who stays and who goes home.
For the 2021 edition, votes constitute 60% while judges make the remaining 40% of a participant's score. In past episodes of this edition, the presenters thus Anita Akuffo and Coocie Tee based on the number of votes obtained by the participants to safe those with high votes. The faith of the bottom five or four were left in the hands of the three judges namely Fridze, Janet and Dzigbordi.
The last three weeks have however seen social media users judging the judges and finding them guilty of bias. For instance, three weeks ago, Greater Accra representative, Dede messed up and everyone expected her to be evicted. But the judges sacrificed Nana for her after she (Dede) shed crocodile tears. She was however evicted the following week, a night she performed creditably well, even wining best costume of the night.
Last Sunday was another controversial night as another best costume Teroo of Upper West region was evicted to the surprise of many. Some people have concluded that every best costume goes home. The eviction of Teiya last Sunday was another talk in town. Although she didn't impress many that night, most of the viewers thought Teiya was due for eviction the previous night but was safed by Sharifa Gunnu.
Another reason why many have accused the judges of bias was the award of most eloquent prize of last Sunday which went to Safoa of Ashanti region. Safoa spent 5 of her 6 allocated minutes dancing. It was surprising that someone who demonstrated courage through dancing received most eloquent award. Her performance seemed deviated too from the theme of the night. Talent night and Safoa was demonstrating courage and perseverance. In spite of the judges criticising her untraditional attire, they went ahead to give her 3 green cards. It was as if Safoa was untouchable.
Well, these are just human beings. Apart from the possibility of them being corrupted, they are also bound to making mistakes. Let's hope their subsequent judgements will be accepted by many. Meanwhile, your votes can still determine who stays and who goes home.
In the next edition, we shall go into the profiles of the three judges. You may follow me to receive the updates automatically.
Content created and supplied by: CitizenOne (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More