Recipe: Homemade Bread Stuffing
Bread soaked in butter and broth. Plus a few vegetables and herbs for good measure. Now tell me, what part of that ‘carb + fat’ lineup could possibly suck?
Stuffing is, without a doubt, my favorite part of our Thanksgiving meal. I also find that it mysteriously gets more and more delicious as the days go by which, in my house, means nearly a week filled with leftovers!
In an ode to make everything from scratch on our holiday table, I sourced a great stuffing recipe from Spending with Pennies to use as my guide. I saved a few large hunks of (more than) day-old sourdough bread and cut them in to cubes the size of dice. I opted for sweet white onions and used ground herbs and spices vs. fresh. Needless to say, the stuffing was a huge hit and one that I will make every year to come!
Supplies/utensils needed for this recipe:
- Large mixing bowl
- 11”x7” casserole dish
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
Makes 6 generous helpings
- Salted butter in the following measurements:
- 1/2 cup
- 1-2 tablespoons
- 1 cup sweet white onion (Vidalia or Maui are some of my favorite varieties), diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 6 cups dried bread cubes (I used dried sourdough bread and cut it in to small dice-sized cubes. Make sure your bread is very dry, or the liquid will turn it to mush.)
- Pinch of dried thyme
- Pinch of dried dill weed
- Pinch of celery salt
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and ground sage. Sauté until veggies are tender, but not browned (apprx. 5-7 minutes).
- Dump the bread cubes in to a large mixing bowl. Add the onion and celery mixture, plus the remainder of the ingredients. Stir to combine and season to taste with salt and freshly-ground black pepper.
- Place mixture in to the casserole dish and dot with 1-2 tablespoons of butter. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 35 minutes - remove foil - bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Content created and supplied by: Ss-stab (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More