Sign in
Download Opera News App

 

 

If You Notice This on a Potato, Don't Eat It, Experts Warn

We're all guilty of leaving a bag of potatoes in our cupboards longer than we should, but many of us accept that using a vegetable peeler where it's soft or sprouting too many potatoes may be best suited for walking back. But that's not true. Experts say there are signs that potatoes are too dangerous to eat, even with a cutter in your hand to cut the uncomfortable part. Read on to find out when to toss a potato instead of trying to save it.

If your potatoes have green spots on them, don't eat them.

You might think that you can just cut off all the green marks on your potatoes and eat them, but you won't solve the problem. According to Healthline, potatoes turn green when they start producing chlorophyll, which is a natural process. But if you notice this pigment, it means your potatoes are also starting to produce solanine, another compound that protects against damage from animals, insects, bacteria, and fungi.

However, solanine is a poison that penetrates potatoes, not just green spots, and its high concentrations can be harmful to humans.


Only bad potatoes can make you sick.


The highest levels of solanine are found in potato skins, so peeling green potatoes will help reduce toxins but will not completely solve the problem. A study published in the journal Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology in 2005 found that peeling potatoes only reduced about 30% of their toxic phytochemicals, leaving 70% in peeled potatoes.

According to Heathline, experts aren't sure how much solanine is needed to get sick because it's unethical to test this on people. However, one case study found that consuming just 0.6 milligrams of solanine per kilogram of body weight can cause illness. "That means consuming a 16-ounce potato in excess of an acceptable level of 20 mg of solanine to 3.5 ounces (100 g) is enough to make a 110-pound person sick," explains Healthline.


It's especially important to keep green-spotted potatoes away from weak people or children who are lighter and therefore more at risk of solanine poisoning, according to Michigan State University.

Content created and supplied by: Kofi004 (via Opera News )

Healthline

COMMENTS

Load app to read more comments