If you've never played with quince before, you're in for a treat. The scent of truly ripe fruit is intoxicating, but they're as hard as a rock. Firm and fragrant quince should be included. If you can't smell them, they aren't ripe yet; leave them on the counter for a week or so and they will be much more flavourful.
Also fully mature quince are not suitable for fresh consumption. Try biting into one and you'll see what I mean. Let's get down on it!
1. 7 cups of quince, peeled, cored and chopped
2. 2-3 cups of sugar.
3. 1/4 cup lemon of juice.
1. Peel the quince, core it, and chop it like an apple. Cook them in a small amount of water before they turn rosy and fall apart (about 30 to 45 minutes). To keep the pan from drying out, add water as needed.
2. Toss the quince with a fork to break them up a little, then pour in the lemon juice and sugar. I prefer a recipe with just 2 cups of sugar. 3 cups is the "traditional" formula, but you may tweak it to your liking.
3. Continue to cook the quince for a few minutes more, until the jam thickens and begins to gel.
4. Pour into prepared canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace, and process in a water bath canner for 5 minutes, or store in the refrigerator for immediate use.
5. Have fun!
Thanks for reading.
Please don't forget to follow me for more updates.
Content created and supplied by: SenamAma (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More