Bread and tea is one of the most common breakfast eaten in Ghana. It is very common because of the little time it takes to prepare it. It is usually taken with egg, sausages or butter.
Bread can either be brown or white and the tea is mostly made with tea leaves, milk and sugar. When we hear tea, most of confuse it with hot chocolate i.e milo and milk but is actually gotten from tea leaves. Some types may include; black tea, green tea (am sure we all know that one),jasmine tea etc..
All types of tea, except herbal tea, are brewed from the dried leaves of the Camellia sinensis bush. The level of oxidation of the leaves determines the type of tea. If you have a habit of taking tea and bread every morning then you should have a fair idea of what it does to your body. Also, tea is a caffeinated beverage and people who take caffeinated beverages, especially in large quantities may develop psychological dependence.
Here are some of the effects of taking tea below;
* It may cause anemia: Drinking black tea may make anemia worse in people with iron deficiency.
* It can lead to anxiety disorders: The caffeine in black tea might make these conditions worse.
* It may cause bleeding disorders: there are some reasons to believe that the caffeine in black tea might slow blood clotting, though this hasn't been concluded. If you have a bleeding disorder, try to take a minimal amount of caffeine or better still, desist from it.
* It can cause heart problems: Caffeine in black tea may lead to an irregular heartbeat in certain people. If you have a heart condition, use caffeine with caution.
* It can increase the risk of high blood pressure:The caffeine in black tea might lead to an increase in the blood pressure of an individual. Although, this is not a natural occurrence in black tea consumers.
* Diabetes: The caffeine in black tea might affect blood sugar. Diabetic patients should take black tea in little quantities.
* Diarrhea: Black tea contains caffeine. The caffeine in black tea, especially when taken in large amounts, might worsen diarrhea.
* Seizures: Black tea contains caffeine. There is a concern that high doses of caffeine might cause seizures and reduce the effects of drugs used to prevent seizures. If you have ever had a seizure, don't use high doses of caffeine or caffeine-containing supplements such as black tea.
* Glaucoma: Drinking caffeinated black tea increases the pressure inside the eye. The increase occurs within 30 minutes and lasts for at least 90 minutes.
Bread has been a food that has beenon a high demand around the world for thousands of years. It is eaten by almost everyone.People continue to consume it because of its convenience, portability, nutrition, and taste.
There are different types of bread, which people make in different ways, using a variety of ingredients. Examples include whole-grain bread, sweetened bread, cornbread, leavened and unleavened bread, flatbread, sourdough, sprouted grain bread, soda bread, and many more.
Bread has been a staple food around the world for thousands of years. People continue to consume it because of its convenience, portability, nutrition, and taste.
There are different types of bread, with different styles of making them, using various ingredients. E.g whole-grain bread, sweetened bread, cornbread, leavened and unleavened bread, flatbread, sourdough, sprouted grain bread, soda bread, and many more.
Many types of bread contain added sugars or sugar substitutes. People should try to avoid those that contain sugar. Ingredients that contain sugar mostly end with-ose for example: glucose, lactose, sucrose etc.
These are some of the effects below;
* An increased risk of diabetes
Bread contains lots of sugar and if you eat too much of it, your blood sugar levels will rise. When blood sugar levels rise, excess insulin is released into the bloodstream and can result in making the cells insulin resistant, making it difficult to control the blood sugar levels. Diabetics should steer clear of bread, even whole wheat bread since it also contains sugar.
* You may experience an increase in cravings
Blood sugar spikes don’t just cause insulin resistance, they make you feel hungry a few minutes after eating. When you eat bread, blood sugar levels rise and give you an energy boost. But soon the sugar drops, leaving you feeling low, which makes you crave something sweet to boost the energy again.
* Eating too much bread may cause weight gain
Eating food that is low in nutrients, high in calories and lacks fiber will most likely cause weight gain.A thin slice of white bread has 53 calories. Therefore, eating 4 slices can add 200 calories to your total daily calorie intake. And since bread isn’t very filling, you’ll find yourself eating more throughout the day.
* It can cause nutritional deficiency
Eating too much bread can lead to a deficiency in your diet. If you love white bread to the extent that you don’t give yourself the option of eating healthy foods, you might develop a nutritional deficiency.
* You may suffer allergies
Individuals suffering from wheat allergies can experience disturbing symptoms from eating too much bread. Especially people with gluten intolerance may suffer constipation, sudden weight loss or gain, chronic diarrhea, and anemia.
* An increased risk of celiac disease
Eating too much bread can cause Celiac disease, an autoimmune disorder that can occur in genetically predisposed people where the ingestion of gluten leads to damage to the small intestine. Celiac disease and other gastrointestinal symptoms are all related to excessive gluten consumption.
* It may weaken the immune system
As I said earlier, white bread is high in carbohydrates and calories. The high carb content in bread increases your risk of diabetes, causes weight gain and spikes in blood sugar levels. But that’s not all, a high carb diet can lead to low intake of protein and fats. And this can cause health issues and weaken your immune system.
* You may become addicted to it
Bread can be pretty addictive and I would not blame you if you’ve been caught in its tentacle.Research has shown that the gluten content in bread stimulates the brain’s opiate receptors causing a sense of euphoria and anxiety when consumed.
Put simply,the more you consume bread, the more you want it. This causes addiction.
However, these various effects only manifest if there's an excess intake of bread and tea. So if you always take bread and tea, try to reduce your intake unless you may experience some nasty side effects.
Are there some side effects you have experienced? Pls share them with us. Thanks.
Content created and supplied by: Sarimanews (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More