Diabetes is a chronic that is characterized by excessive glucose (blood sugar) in the blood. The disease that involves the inability of the body to produce insulin or failure of the body make use of insulin to help in the conversion of blood sugar (glucose) into glycogen to be stored in the muscles and liver.
Diabetes is a debilitating disease which requires patient's to be checking their blood sugars frequently as well as taking their medications seriously as it was prescribed by the medical doctor. Some of the commonly prescribed oral diabetes medications include metformin and Glibenclamide etc. The doctor may also prescribe synthetic insulin depending on the type of diabetes you have.
TYPES OF DIABETES
There are two main types of diabetes. These are,
1. Type 1 diabetes - this involves the inability of the body to produce insulin resulting in high blood sugar
2. Type 2 diabetes - this involves either the inability of the body to produce enough insulin or it resists the insulin produced in the body resulting in high blood sugar
Signs And Symptoms
1. Frequent urination
2. Increased thirst
4. Blurred vision
Complications of Diabetes
1. Diabetic retinopathy; diabetes can lead to the damage of the retina in the eyes which may lead to permanent blindness.
2. Diabetic nephropathy; diabetes may cause damage of functional unit of the kidney.
3. Diabetic neuropathy; it can lead to nerve damage.
4. Skin problems such as failure or slow wound healing.
5. Alzheimer's disease
6. Diabetic ketoacidosis; A serious complications of diabetes leading to the production of harmful blood acids known as ketones.
In Summary, diabetes is a debilitating disease and can be prevented through regular exercise, avoiding sedentary life style, consuming low carb-diet, and more.
Content created and supplied by: Ridallah (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More