Sign in
Download Opera News App

Relationships Parenting Wedding

 

Pregnancy

 

Childbirth

12 Striking Facts About The Vagina Every Female Ought To Know

Vagina refers to a specific part of the female reproductive system. It is the muscular tube that runs from the vulva to the cervix. The main function of the vagina is for sexual intercourse. It also serves as a conduit for a baby during birth.

The following are 12 striking facts about the female vagina.

1. The vagina gets deeper when a female is turned on. With sex on the mind, the vagina opens its doors. The vagina is somewhere between 3 to 6 inches long and 1 to 2.5 inches wide. After arousal, the upper portion of the vagina elongates, pushing the cervix and uterus slightly deeper into your body to make room for penetration.

2. Some females have two vaginas. Females with two vaginas can still get pregnant and be delivered of a baby but there’s a much higher risk for miscarriage and preterm labor.

3. Child birth does not permanently stretch out the female vagina. Days after giving birth vaginally, a female's vagina and vulva will likely feel bruised and swollen. It’s also common for her vagina to feel more open than normal on account of the human that recently passed through but a female shouldn't worry as the openness subsides within a few days. Although a female's vagina will likely remain a little wider than it was before birth, she can keep her vaginal muscles toned and healthy by practicing regular pelvic floor exercises.

4. The vagina is self-cleaning. An army of specialized bacteria exist for the sole purpose of keeping a female's vaginal pH at an optimal level to ward off other hostile bacteria. It is normal to see discharge which may be thin or thick, clear or whitish in a female's undies. This is the result of her vagina’s cleaning efforts. Cleaning techniques like douching are a bad idea because they can throw off this natural balance, leading to problems like bacterial vaginosis and infection.

5. A female can get 'wet' without being sexually aroused. When a vagina is wet, a female wants to have sex right? Wrong. Hormones cause cervical mucus to be excreted daily. The vulva has a high concentration of sweat glands. Also, vaginas can automatically produce lubrication when they’re touched, regardless of arousal.

6. The skin on the vagina changes color when a female is horny. When a female is horny, blood rushes to her vulva and vagina. This can make the color of the skin in that area appear darker. She shouldn't worry though, it’ll go back to its normal shade after sexy time is over.

7. Most females can't orgasm from vaginal penetration alone. About 20 percent of females can reach orgasm from penetration alone. For the other 80 percent, the key orgasmic ingredient is the clitoris. Some females can experience both vaginal and clitoral orgasm at the same time (blended orgasm) which may sound rare but it’s totally achievable. There are also plenty of perfectly healthy bodies that rarely or never get all the way to orgasm.

8. Not all people with vaginas are females. Genitalia is not an indicator of gender and it can be harmful to assume so. There are many people who have vaginas but are not females. Such people may identify as males or binary.

9. The clitoris has twice as many nerve endings as the penis. The famously sensitive penis has around 4,000 nerve endings. The famously “hard-to-find” clitoris has 8,000. This is the more reason females should give their clitorises the attention they deserve.

10. The vagina tears during child birth. This is absolutely normal and should not be considered as a health concern as the female's body is designed to bounce back. The vagina is resilient and due to ample blood supply, actually heals quicker than other parts of the body.

11. The hymen can tear at anytime. Hymens often tear before a female ever has penetrative sex. It can tear during some normal activities like riding a bike or putting in a tampon. When a hymen tears, a bit of blood is to be expected.

12. The vagina has a smell. This should be common knowledge by now but it’s not. As mentioned earlier, the vagina contains a highly specialized army of bacteria that work ‘round the clock' to keep its pH healthy and balanced. And like other bacteria, they do have a smell. Don't ask me how a vagina should smell like. A vagina should smell like a vagina, period!


What other facts do you have about the vagina? Drop your comments and let's get interactive. If you found this article helpful, like it, share it for others to benefit and follow my page to get more helpful articles in future.



Content created and supplied by: Owans1 (via Opera News )

COMMENTS

Load app to read more comments