In order to reduce belly fat there's only thing you can do: lose weight. In order to lose weight, you MUST be in a calorie deficit. This is where you're eating less calories than you're burning off. There's no such thing as fat “spot reduction” where you can target fat loss to a certain area. This is impossible. When you lose weight, the fat is lost from wherever you're genetically predisposed to lose it from.
To get rid of fat, I'd recommend you eat 500 calories less than your body's maintainance calories (the energy required to stay at the same weight) per day. Theoretically, this should amount to 1 pound of fat loss per week. One pound of body fat contains roughly 3500 calories. So in order to get rid of this, you must burn off an excess of 3500 calories. When you're eating 500 calories less per day, your body still has to get 500 calories to sustain itself, thus, it will compensate for this energy deficit by using the fat. Remember, fat is literally just stored energy, your body's main reserve. Fundamentally, our bodies follow the laws of thermodynamics, these cannot be broken and it’s scientifically proven that it’s only calories that lead to weight change. Yes, you can alter your water weight through eating less carbs, but is this real mass? No.
Now that's out of the way, here's my top tips!
1. Track calories to ensure you're in a deficit. Remember, if you're not in a deficit, you're not going to lose weight.
2. Eat foods high in protein and fibre to keep you full. Dieting shouldn't be an uncomfortable process so please don't starve yourself
3. Perform regular cardio. Cardio is the best form of exercise to burn calories, the fitter you are, the easier you can burn them! Cardio will help you burn off calories and keep you in a deficit!
4. Don't be a carbophobe! Don't try to eliminate carbs, they're not bad at all and provide a whole host of benefits and keep you energetic. Try to eat less sugar and more long chain carbohydrates such as bread, rice and potatoes. Fruit is excellent, although sugary!
5. Eat foods you enjoy! Don't force yourself into eating bland “healthy” meals. Try to keep your foods clean but don't worry about a little bit of junk as long as you're staying a few hundred calories below maintainance.
6. Sleep! Staying up at night and binging on calorific foods is a big no no and will hault your progress. Low sleep can trigger hunger hormones
7. Drink more water! This can fill you up temporarily with 0 calories and replace a snack
8. Eat less fat! Fat has 9 calories per gram, protein and carbohydrates only have 4 calories per gram. You can eat more volume and keep yourself satiated.
9. Eat when you're hungry. Don't wait too long and end up binging
10. Don't try any fancy diets. Stick to the basic principle of calories in vs calories out
These are my main tips! There's so much dieting misinformation in today's society. There's no magic food that can help you lose weight. For weight change, calories are the bottom line. Trust the science not the social media influencer trying to tell you drinking lemon water and doing 100 squats a day while fasted will guarantee you weight loss. Your body is a complex machine than runs by numbers.
Images source: Google
Content created and supplied by: ghananewstoday (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More