A Patients' Charter! is a document that outlines rights of a patient at point of receiving healthcare services. Every patient deserves quality basic healthcare regardless of their location. Here are some of the rights you are entitled to as a patient:
1. The right to full information on your condition: You have the right to know everything about your medical condition, including the management plan and any potential risks involved. However, in emergency situations where you are unable to make a decision and the need for treatment is urgent, you may not receive all the information.
2. The right to know about alternative treatments: You have the right to know about any alternative treatments that may be available to you. This information can help you make an informed decision about your care and contribute to improved outcomes.
3. The right to know the identity of your caregivers: You have the right to know the identity of all the caregivers who will be handling your care, including students, trainees, and ancillary workers.
4. The right to consent or decline participation in research studies: You have the right to decide whether you want to participate in a research study involving you. If you choose not to participate, you are entitled to receive the most effective care available.
5. The right to privacy: You have the right to privacy during consultation, examination, and treatment. In cases where your case notes may be used for teaching and conferences, your consent must be sought.
6. The right to confidentiality: Any information obtained about you should be kept confidential and not disclosed to a third party without your consent or the person authorized to act on your behalf, except where such information is required by law or is in the public interest.
7. The right to information regarding healthcare policies and regulations: You are entitled to all relevant information regarding the policies and regulations of the healthcare facilities you attend.
8. The right to complain and have conflicts resolved: You should be informed of procedures for complaints, disputes, and conflict resolution.
9. The right to know about hospital charges and anticipated expenses: You have the right to know about the charges for the services you will receive, the mode of payment, and any other anticipated expenses.
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More