Last week was one sad week for the nation as the week started with some deaths. The death of Ibrahim Mohammed caused some youth in Ejura to protest. Unfortunately, the protests got fatal leading to the death of 2 protestors and injuries to many others. President Akufo-Addo authorized the Interior Minister to present a report on the incident. The Minister in turn created a probe to investigate.
Today, Tuesday. The Ashanti Regional Minister, Simon Osei Mensah came before the probe committee. He was made to answer and give testimony as to what happened on that fateful day of the shooting. The Minister fingered on Abbe Wakaz who he believes is a lead suspect and initiator of the protest.
The Minister tendered in as evidence a video of protestors pelting stones at the security personnel. The Committee then probed and asked for the person who took the video to give testimony. The minister refused to disclose the person behind the video. According to him this will prevent people from tendering evidence again.
“I am sorry but I cannot give the source of my evidence. As I said I can’t give you the source. I cannot because I fear tomorrow people will not give me evidence again” the minister said. The probing committee tried to persuade him by saying the witness will be given in camera testimony but yet the Minister refused. The minister later said the committee should assume he took the video.
The Committee refused because they insisted that if he assumed responsibility then he will have to answer some questions which he could. They charged and assured him of confidentiality but still the Ashanti Regional Minister refused. “My Lord Chair, if I bring the person it will make my management of this region difficult. I will not damage the life of the person by bringing him here” Simon Osei Mensah said.
The coming days will be interesting as the committee probes further. They have till July 9, 2021 to present their report. It is unclear why the minister is refusing to bring his witness even in closed doors.
Content created and supplied by: Still_Unbeatable (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More