Building a new home is always going to be an exciting endeavor. You might have dreamt about it for years and the process of building a home can be a rewarding experience. That doesn’t mean that there won’t be challenges down the line.
There are some new and innovative ways of building or owning a home. Some people have knocked down and built a brand new home with builders Reward Homes so as to have better control of the floor plan and the design.
There are a lot of challenges that you could encounter when you’re building your house. Everything will look good on paper but it is not until you roll up your sleeves will you realize that the construction requires sweat and blood and you must be financially and emotionally prepared for the process.
Here are some of the common mistakes that you should avoid if you’re building your own home.
If you already own land, the building process can be simple and straightforward. If you’re buying land, you might be faced with a couple of challenges. You should be going for just any piece of land as there could be restrictions when it comes to construction. 1. Make sure you’re looking at the available infrastructure in the area.
2. Are there amenities nearby?Talking about amenities, nearness to power supply, telephone, water cannot be left out. Some people have to buy 3 to 5 electric poles for you to get access to electricity.
3. How much will it cost to be connected to the basic utilities? It is only after assessing these basic considerations will you be able to determine if the lot is suitable to build a house.
4. You should also consider the school systems that are available in the locality before you decide to buy the land. The land costs associated with the building should also be put into consideration.
5. After acquiring the plot of land to commence the project, you must consider where to get materials especially, the fine aggregate (sand), the chippings suitable for construction works. The sand has to be free from foreign materials.
6. Don't forget to consider wood works activities on site. Remember find out where to get those materials. At times some consider other type of formwork for the beams and columns.
7. The cost of cement is fast rising, consider where to get cement, plus transportation. You don't need to travel more than 30 kilometers from your site to get cement and other materials like the mild steel(iron rod). Always buy a land close to where u can get those materials.
8. Are you in a hurry to put up your own house, then the blocks needed to the construction works also need to be considered. Are you manufacturing your blocks of buying from their factory. It is good good to hire someone to manufacture for you if you are not in hurry. It can save cost and you can check on quality too.
Construction bids can be complicated to understand. You might put your signature on something without looking at the cost implications. It might be too late to change your mind once the construction has already started.
Don’t be surprised if the construction is more than the bid because you choose to work with a shoddy contractor, which can be avoided if you use a quality construction material takeoff service. You should not only learn how to read bids but also how to compare them
You should not only learn how to read bids but also how to compare them. This will come in handy when you’re shortlisting potential contractors for your home building project. An experienced builder should include a buffer in the bid as construction projects are unpredictable as you could end up needing more money than you’d originally anticipated.
It will be tempting not to hire a contractor if you’re looking at saving costs. Even though you could do the work on your own, it is recommended that you hire an experienced contractor.
This can be overwhelming if you’re doing it on your own. You will also have to be at the construction site most of the time to supervise the work. A good contractor will help in building your dream home even if you’re on a budget.
If you are civil servant or private worker earning at least 1500, u can save or acquire a loan from a good source with good interest, when putting up a structure in the early stages you can't get your money back.
You can start with chamber and hall on a half plot(average 45X60 feet ) and start your project. Just focus, pray and work hard to achieve your aim.
Land lord and ladies are killing us with their killer rent especially in Accra without any maintenance. Some pay as high as 24000 for two years. That's 1000 per month for 2 bedroom house.
Content created and supplied by: Rasstingo (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More