Stress is a feeling of emotional or physical tension. It can come from any event or thought that makes you feel frustrated, angry, or nervous. Stress is your body's reaction to a challenge or demand.
We are in hard times. Things are not probably moving well as you expect in your life. There is the difficulty in getting a job with the youth. The struggle to succeed in life causes anxiety and stress.
No wonder people are nowadays doing everything possible to succeed which has caused the rise in crime in our societies.
The desire by the youths to become rich overnight and the fear of the old to protect their hard earned property from armed robbers are major indications that people are stressed up.
The battling diseases such diarrhoea or constipation, high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, depression or anxiety, menstrual problems, sexual problems and trouble sleeping or sleeping too much are all signs and symptoms of stress.
One of the major problems associated with stress is the use of alcohol or drugs to relax, which can lead to the increase in social voices. Some of the social vices include, but not limited to, examination malpractice, indecent dressing and prostitution, political thuggery, cultism, drug addiction, targeted assassinations, armed robbery, pipeline vandalism, vandalism of electricity installations and cyber crimes.
A PhD clinical professor at Brown University, Carol Landau, said, “the impact of stress on depression, and vice versa, is one of the most important problems of our times."
Indeed, stress is a major problem of our time and we are not paying attention to it.
Below Are Some Of The Ways To Overcome Stress.
1. Eat and drink to optimize your health. Some people try to reduce stress by drinking alcohol or eating too much. These actions may seem to help at the moment, but actually may add to stress in the long run.
2. Exercise regularly. In addition to having physical health benefits, exercise has been shown to be a powerful stress reliever. Consider non-competitive aerobic exercise, strengthening with weights, or movement activities like yoga.
3. Stop using tobacco and nicotine products. People who use nicotine often refer to it as a stress reliever. However, nicotine actually places more stress on the body by increasing physical arousal and reducing blood flow and breathing.
4. Study and practice relaxation techniques. Taking the time to relax every day helps to manage stress and to protect the body from the effects of stress. You can choose from a variety of techniques, such as deep breathing, imagery, progressive muscle relaxation, and mindfulness meditation.
5. Reduce triggers of stress. If you are like most people, your life may be filled with too many demands and too little time. For the most part, these demands are ones we have chosen. You can free up time by practicing time-management skills like asking for help when it’s appropriate, setting priorities, pacing yourself, and reserving time to take care of yourself.
6. Examine your values and live by them. The more your actions reflect your beliefs, the better you will feel, no matter how busy your life is. Use your values when choosing your activities.
7. Set realistic goals and expectations. It's okay and healthy to realize you cannot be 100% successful at everything all at once. Be mindful of the things you can control and work on accepting the things that you can’t control.
8. Sell yourself to yourself. When you’re feeling overwhelmed, remind yourself of what you do well. Have a healthy sense of self-esteem.
Content created and supplied by: Election2020News24/7 (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More