Festivals are are occasions during which people of a community would to remember, honour and express their appreciation to God, the ancestors and God's of the land for their protection, abundant harvest to them.
Generally, festivals bring about a lot of benefits to the society. These are discussed below:
1. Festivals inculcate good moral behaviour into the younger generation. During festivals, children take part in all the festive activities of the community. They therefore learn the traditions, customs and norms of society. By this doing, they are equipped with good moral behaviour.
2. Festivals are periods of appreciating the gods. Festivals serve as occasions of spiritual renewal of the covenant between the people and the gods.
3. Festivals are the avenues of portraying the culture of the people. During festivals, aspects of culture such as dance and music. The younger generation learns their culture during these occasions.
3. History of the people is recounted during festivals. During festivals, the chief and elders take the opportunity to recount how they came to settle in their present home.
4. Festivals are occasions for settling disputes. During festivals, people far and near come home. Advantage is therefore taken to settle disputes at family and chieftaincy levels.
5. Festivals promote socialization. people who are far and near come home during festivals. This helps people to know relatives very well. It is also a good opportunity to choose life partners.
6. Chiefs reassert their their authority during festivals. Paramount chiefs sit in state to receive homage from sub-chiefs.
7. Development is also planned during festivals. People of a community especially the affluent ones come together to donate and plan for the community.
8. Festivals also help marketers to make high sales. During festivals, food vendors and other sellers get high patronage.
Follow, comment and like for more stories
Content created and supplied by: Jmahama (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More