Samuel Jinapor, the Minister of Lands and Natural Resources and Dominic Nitiwul, the Minister of Defense, today, Wednesday, May 19, 2021 delivered an update on the fight against galamsey. This is the third phase since the swoop started. There has been so much discourse about galamsey as many have maintained that the government big wigs itself is promoting galamsey.
2. The operation took place from 14th -17th May, 2021
3. in all about 561 military men were involved. This involved ground troops and air support
4. 49 excavators 288 Shang fans, 87 water pumping machines all on the Brim river. Seventy-six wooden structures were destroyed, motorbikes, hunters’ guns and others were destroyed.
5. The soldiers will go even after all those who have chosen to work at night. He asserted that he is glad some have withdrawn their excavators but this doesn’t mean the operation will cease.
6. He said people should take pictures of those doing wrong tings related to galamsey
The Defense Minister also explained why some excavators of some big wigs were destroyed. According to him it was not just about license but then anyone destroying or polluting water bodies is a culprit. Mining is to be done 100m from water bodies.
“We were not there to inspect licenses, but rather they were focused on those polluting the waters. Anyone diverting the water and polluting them is a suspect and will not be forgiven” the minister said. He insisted that many big companies had their properties destroyed but many have not heard this because those involved might not have political voices.
According to the minister, the soldiers were charged not to spare anyone infringing on the laws. He maintained that the law will not lax for anybody no matter who you were.
Content created and supplied by: Still_Unbeatable (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More