The conflict between Russia and Ukraine has resulted in a devastating toll on both sides, with civilians bearing the brunt of the violence. Among the many tragedies of this conflict, there are several places in Ukraine that have been particularly affected by Russian aggression. In this article, we will discuss six of the places that have been destroyed the most by Russia in Ukraine.
- Donetsk is the capital city of the Donetsk Oblast, an eastern region of Ukraine that has been a hotspot for the conflict. The city was once a bustling metropolis with a population of over one million, but since the conflict began in 2014, it has been largely destroyed. The city has been hit by countless artillery and rocket attacks, leaving many buildings in ruins.
- Luhansk is another city in the Donetsk Oblast that has been severely affected by the conflict. The city was once home to over 400,000 people, but many have fled as a result of the fighting. The city has been hit by numerous attacks, including a missile strike on a busy market that killed dozens of people in 2015.
- Mariupol is a port city in southeastern Ukraine that has also been affected by the conflict. In January 2015, pro-Russian separatists launched an attack on the city, which resulted in the deaths of at least 30 people. The city has since been largely destroyed, with many buildings reduced to rubble.
- Debaltseve is a town in the Donetsk Oblast that was the site of intense fighting between Ukrainian forces and pro-Russian separatists in early 2015. The town was a strategic location for both sides, and the fighting resulted in the destruction of many buildings and infrastructure.
- Avdiivka is a town in the Donetsk Oblast that has been hit particularly hard by the conflict. The town has been under constant shelling, leaving many buildings damaged or destroyed. In 2017, a power station in Avdiivka was hit by artillery fire, leaving thousands of people without electricity during a harsh winter.
- Sloviansk is a city in the Donetsk Oblast that was seized by pro-Russian separatists in April 2014. The city was the site of intense fighting, which resulted in the destruction of many buildings and infrastructure. The city has since been retaken by Ukrainian forces, but much of it remains in ruins.
In conclusion, the conflict between Russia and Ukraine has had a devastating impact on both sides, but the people of Ukraine have borne the brunt of the violence. The destruction of these six places is just a small part of the overall toll of the conflict, which has left thousands dead and many more displaced. It is a tragedy that will be felt by the people of Ukraine for years to come.
Content created and supplied by: Johnystar (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More