The Asantehene hold the absolute power of the Ashanti Kingdom and has been so, since the Asanteman (Ashanti Kingdom) was founded by its first ruler Otumfuo Nana Osei Tutu Opemsoo who before, ruled as the Kumasehene until 1701, when the Kingdom of Asante was formed.
This post list all the kings who have sat on the throne since 1701, when the kingdom was established .
In total and including the current Asantehene, they are 16. We list below their names and times of reign.
1. Otumfuo Nana Osei Tutu Opemsoo 1701–1717
2. Otumfuo Nana Opoku Ware Katakyie 1720–1750
3. Otumfuo Nana Kusi Oboadum 1750–1764
4. Otumfuo Nana Osei Kwadwo Okoawia 1764–1777
5. Osei Kwame Panyin 1777–1803
6. Otumfuo Nana Opoku Fofie December 1803–March 1804
7. Osei Tutu Kwame Asiba 1804–21 January 1824.
8. Otumfuo Nana Osei Yaw Akoto 1824–21 February 1834
9. Otumfuo Nana Kwaku Dua I 25 August 1834 – 27 April 1867
10. Otumfuo Nana Kofi Karikari 28 May 1867 – 26 October 1874.
11. Otumfuo Nana Mensa Bonsu 1874–8 March 1883.
12. Otumfuo Nana Kwaku Dua II' 28 April 1884–11 June 1884
13. Otumfuo Nana Prempeh I 26 March 1888 – 12 May 1931
14. Otumfuo Nana Osei Tutu Agyeman Prempeh II 22 June 1931–27 May 1970
15. Otumfuo Nana Opoku Ware II 6 July 1970 – 26 February 1999
16. Otumfuo Nana Osei Tutu II 26 April 1999–present current Asantehene.
As per tradition, upon the death of an Asantehene, it is the duty of the Mamponghene to act as the regent (or care taker) or Awisiahene, until a new Asantehene is enstooled on the throne.
Our subsequent posts will delve more into the people and culture of the Asanteman.
If you liked this post, kindly hit the follow botton to receive get more interesting posts and updates.
Your comments are also welcome below.
Hit the thumbs up botton below as well.
More to follow soon.
Content created and supplied by: MissChris (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More