Monday, 20th September 2021
Yesterday, the president of the republic came out with list of nominated metropolitan, municipal and district chief executives across the country in accordance with the local government act. The list contained some 222 men and only 38 women. This means 14.6% of the total nominations made by President Akuffo Addo to the various of MMDAs are women.
Many Ghanaians have reacted to this low female representation many of whom felt disappointed. Reacting to this complaints on News Night on Metro TV today monitored by CitizenOne, founder of Alliance for Social Equity and Public Accountability (ASEPA) Mr. Mensah Thomson said the question should rather be how many women applied?
He observed that although the president had every right to name anyone he wanted to serve in his administration, he chose a simless procedure by constituting a national vetting committe to scrutinize all applicants. This procedure restricted the president to make his appointment from only applicants. "So if few women applied, few women will be appointed", he said. He noted that in the case of Accra metro, the president selected a woman although the vetting committee did not recommend her.
Mensah Thomson encouraged women to participate in political leadership positions when the opportunity presents itself.
Earlier on Good Evening Ghana program on Metro TV, the deputy local government minister Hon. O.B. Amoah chastised NPP supporters who were causing chaos simply because their preferred aspirants were not named. O.B said the president only carried out a constitutional responsibility and he acted within the confines of the law. He reminded party supporters that the MMDCEs were not responsible for grassroots mobilisation.
"It is absolutely wrong to suggest that this man or that woman cannot mobilize voters to win 2024", he said in relation to the Odododiodio and Chereponi agitations.
Some Npp supporters in these areas took to the streets to register their displeasure over the president's nominees for their respective assemblies after the sector minister Hon. Dan Botwe made same public. They destroyed party properties and burnt car tyres on roads. The police have since made some arrests and will be putting them before court soon.
Content created and supplied by: CitizenOne (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More