Today, March 9, 2021 will down Ghana's historical annals and will deeply be etched in the minds of Ghanaians. The President of the Republic and President-elect, His Excellency Nana Addo Danquah Akuffo Addo appeared before Parliament to present his first address of his second term on the state of the nation.
The event was graced with the presence of many dignitaries and other international observers who stormed the Parliament House to witness the event. Among the dignitaries were Vice President Dr. Mahamadu Bawumia, Speaker of Parliament Rt. Hon Alban Bagbin, First Lady Madam Rebecca Akuffo Addo, Second Lady Samira Bawumia, Chief Justice Annin Yeboah, Members of the diplomatic corps and Members of Parliament from both sides of the political divide.
As stipulated by Article 67 of the 1992 constitution, the President accounted to the general public. Below is a Summary of what Nana Akuffo-Addo said in his address;
1. Supreme Court judgement on Election Petition was excellent.
2. NPP government was able to deliver on its 2016 promises.
3. I assure the House if the corporation of the Executive in this 4 years of government.
4. COVID-19 has impacted heavily on the economy but we maintained considerable gains in the 2017 and 2020.
5. We achieved annual GDP growth of 7%, single digit inflation, reduced government deficit and relatively stable exchange rate.
6. Government succeeded in protecting the jobs and incomes of all public sector employees during the lockdown.
7. Fiscal deficit reviewed to 11.4% to reflect impact of the pandemic.
8. We are good managers of the economy and GDP is expected to grow by 5% in 2021.
9. We remain in course to taking delivery of some 17,600,000 vaccines by June with more to come in the course of the year.
10. Government will continue to invest in the health sector. Government to establish 14 medical waste treatment facilities. Government to build two new psychiatric hospitals.
11. We are determined to do our things and the Akuffo-Addo government will continue with the agenda of rapid industrialisation with the aim of transforming the structure of the Ghanaian economy.
12. 232 projects almost complete under the One District One Factory Initiative.
13. I am passionate about the education of every child in Ghana.
14. Government to increase Tertiary enrollment from 18% to 40%.
15. 32 TVET institutions to be built across the country.
16. Government to introduce new measures to curb exam malpractice.
17. Government to absorb the BECE registeration fees of all public schools.
18. Government to link National ID to all other Identification documents and Sim cards.
19. Government to build 20 Guest Houses for Court of Appeal Judges.
20. I congratulate the Black Satellites on their splendid victory of winning the nation's 4th U-20 African Cup of Nations. I thank them for the independence gift.
21. Ghana is in good health despite the effects of COVID-19 pandemic.
Drop your thoughts with us by commenting below.
Content created and supplied by: Ghana_News (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More