There is the growing perception among the citizenry that, when something goes in favor of both sides (NPP and NDC) of Parliament and it even involves loans, they are quick to defend and collectively approve it but when it is the other way round, you almost always find one side, especially the opposition legislators rising against it or raising concerns.
Typical example is the issue of ex-gratia and other allowances. It is interesting how both sides of the house has never been at loggerheads on such matters.
The government of Ghana through the Ministry of finance has tabled before parliament a $28M loan facility from the National Investment Bank to purchase vehicles for legislators and members of the council of state.
As a matter of fact, MPs are only paying 40% of the loan whilst the state bares the remaining 60% cost.
This development has stoked public discussions with almost all MPs making arguments to justify the necessity of the loan.
Among such assertions is that of South Dayi MP, Rockson Dafeamekpor, who among other things has indicated that, some members of parliament come to work in Uber vehicles.
He has also argued to suggest that, MPs face a lot of challenges in their line of work because they lack a lot of things.
Interestingly, Rockson Dafeamekpor is one of the MPs who are very vocal on matters of Ghana’s debt. He has always criticized the government for the level of borrowing and the need to desist from borrowing.
It appears that he’s comfortable with this loan the government intends to get for reasons best known to him.
Well, another citizen who’s very critical on activities of government, has given the MP a dose of his own pill.
Kwame Asare Obeng, popularly knows as Kwame Aplus has descended on the MP for refusing to criticize the government’s attempt to borrow $28M to purchase vehicles for MPs.
Taking to his Facebook page, he wrote; “ If it were a loan to build hospitals, he will cry a river and explain to Ghanaians how Akuffo Addo has increased Ghana’s debt within 4 years. But a loan for him to buy a luxurious car is ok. Your aboi like bush road”
An “aboi” in Ghana is a hairless line in-between the hair. The hair is deliberately carved out to make a straight shiny line on the head.
Indeed, it is surprising that an MP who has always spoken against government’s borrowing would appreciate another borrowing only for the purchasing of vehicles.
They spend huge sums of monies to embark on campaigns and most of them even go to the extent of buying goodies for delegates and other party members. It is therefore, scandalizing that the same people cannot even afford private vehicles but resort to Uber to go to Parliament.
Meanwhile, the loan facility is yet to be approved but is expected to be approved in the coming days because as it stands now, most of the MPs are looking forward to it against the background that, the 40% they are entitled to pay are being deducted from their monthly salaries already.
Cityzen_Vigilante would keep you updated on any development relating to the matter.
Content created and supplied by: Cityzen_Vigilante (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More