Ghana attained it's Independence from British colonial rule in the year 1957.
1. 1957 - 1969: Queen Elizabeth II remained the ceremonial head with Kwame Nkrumah as the Prime Minister.
FIRST REPUBLIC 1960-1966
The President replaced the Monarch. The president was elected by parliament for a five year term.
1. 1960 - 26th Feb, 1966: Kwame Nkrumah
26 Feb, 1966 - 2nd April,1969: Lt Gen J.A. Ankrah through the National Liberation Council(NLC)
2. 2nd April, 1969 - 3rd Sept, 1969: Brig. Gen. Akwasi Afrifa: NLC
2ND REPUBLIC : 1969-1972
1. 3rd Sept, 1969- 7th Aug, 1970: Brig. Gen. Afrifa with K.A. Busia as prime minister.
2. 7th Aug,1970-31st Aug, 1970: Nii Amah Ollenu. with K.A. Busia as Prime Minister.
3. 31st Aug, 1970-13th Jan, 1972: Edward Akuffo Addo with K.A. Busia as prime minister.
MILITARY RULE 1972-1979.
1.13th Jan, 1972- 9th Oct, 1975: Gen. Ignatius Kutu Acheampong through the National Redemption Council.
2. 9th Oct, 1975- 5th July, 1978: Gen. Ignatius Kutu Acheampong through the Supreme Military Council (SMC).
3. 5th July, 1978-4th June, 1979: Lt. Gen. Fred Akufo through the Supreme Military Council.
4. 4th June, 1979-24th Sept, 1979: Fly. Let. Jerry John Rawlings through the AFRC.
THIRD REPUBLIC 1979-1981.
President was to be elected by Ghanaians for a four year term.
1. 24th Sept, 1979-31st Dec, 1981: Dr Hilla Liman through the Peoples National Party.
MILITARY RULE 1981-1993
1. 31st Dec, 1981-7th Jan, 1993: Fly.Lt. Jerry John Rawlings the PNDC.
FOURTH REPUBLIC 1993 TP PRESENT
1. 7th Jan, 1993-7th Jan, 2001: Fly.Lt. Jerry John Rawlings through the National Democratic Congress(NDC).
2. 7th Jan, 2001-7th Jan, 2009: John Agyekum Kuffour: through the New Patriotic Party(NPP).
3. 7th Jan, 2009-24th July, 2012: John Atta Mills through the NDC. He died in office.
4. 24th July, 2012- 7th Jan, 2017: John Dramani Mahama through the NDC.
5. 7th Jan, 2017- present: Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo Addo through the NPP.
Follow and comment for more stories.
Content created and supplied by: Jmahama (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More