Understanding the scriptures is something that has eluded many for ages. The controversies surrounding the differences associated with the doctrines of church denominations has brought about some divisions in Christianity. Faith comes by hearing. Therefore ones faith basically depends on The Kind of teachings obtained. You should find and read my article" The secret behind different doctrines in Christianity but with
one Bible". But for now let's deal with the topic at hand.
If you take a critical study at the said chapter, right from the chapter, Jesus Christ was speaking about the Israelites who happened to be the children of God but they refused to accept him. And the Gentiles who were the outcast by then rather accepted him. He therefore said it in verse 8, that the children of the world was wiser than the children of the light in their generation.
So the Pharisees knowing what Jesus Christ was saying, derided him for saying that. (Verse 14 ). Scorning Christ for that matter made Christ also put them in their rightful position. Jesus Christ did not see the Pharisees as righteous as they claimed to be. So Christ exposed them. (Verse 15).
When he spoke and got to verse 19 , then he spoke to them about the rich man and the poor man Lazarus. He wanted the Pharisees in particular and the Israelites as a whole to know their stand as at then in the sight of God. And It was nothing good to boast of. So he was using the parable to let them know they were not as righteous as they claimed to be. And they were not going to be the only God's nation again. It had been in God's plan to accept the Gentiles as his children too.
1. The rich man Christ was referring to was the Israelites and the Pharisees. The richness here is not as in finance or material wealth but spiritually rich. For they were considered the children of God. But they were proud and showed off instead of obeying the word of God. They didn't see Christ as the son of God. References to these : Luke 16:13-15, Luke 7:30, 20:19, 45-47, Matt. 8:12, Matt. 23:13.
2. The poor man Jesus Christ was referring to was the Gentiles. They were poor in spirit. They new not God and therefore were not children of God . Matt. 5:3-12, Luke 6:20-26, Luke 13:28-30, Matt 21:42-43, 1Cor. 1:26-31.
Follow me for part 2 of this topic and find out what it means :
1 To his gate, many sores and desiring to be fed with crumbs which fell from his table.
2."Dogs licked his sores.
3. Lazarus died and was carried away by angels to Abraham's bosom.
4. The death of the beggar.
5. The rich man died and was buried.
6. He lifted up his eyes and saw Lazarus in Abraham's bosom.
7. Send Lazarus to dip his finger in water and cool my tongue.
8. Be in torment in the flame.
9 Gulf fixed between them.
10. There are Moses and the prophets.
When you get to know the meaning of all these, then that you are blessed with the understanding of this parable. Leave your comment or question.
Written by Obweb
Writer and web developer
Content created and supplied by: Obweb (via Opera News )