Sign in
Download Opera News App



Here Is What A Lady Has To Say About Change of Maiden Name After Getting Married.

A lady took to her Facebook page to bare her on the issue of change of name after getting married.

Here is the excerpts:

Dear Nigerian married women,

Changing your maiden name to your husband's doesn’t make you more married than a married woman who still bears her maiden name.

What validates your marriage is not a change of name certificate. It’s your marriage certificate issued by the federal laws of the land where you married NOT the certificate issued by some random churches.

In Nigeria, it’s the certificate issued by the Federal Republic of Nigeria which some churches are licensed to give.

For as long as you remain married, you should keep your marriage certificate safe much more than you brag about your change of name documents. 

Some married women be raising their noses at me because I haven’t changed my name. Is it yah name? Free me, abeg. Lemme bear my daddy’s name in peace. Or is it yah Daddy’s name?

Question One: What happens when travelling outside the country with your own child whom you don’t bear same names with.

Answer: Because an aunt or an uncle can also have the same surname with a niece or nephew. So just answering the same surname with your child is never enough assurance or security even when traveling with your own child.

The reason for birth certificate is to match the names of the mother or father to the kids in the birth certificate with the names on the passports you are showing.  

So even if you bear same with your child, you’re still required to carry your child’s birth certificate. 

If one parent, either the father or the mother is traveling alone with the kids, the parent is also required to carry an affidavit signed by the other parent and stamped by the police for some countries. Also a certified copy of the non-traveling parents ID which will be used to cross check the name on the birth certificate. 

If a person who is neither the father or the mother is traveling with a child, he/she must also have the birth certificates, affidavits signed by both parents and copies of parents ID that will be used to cross check the birth certificates. 

These are done to check child trafficking.

All that's required if you don't bear same names with your child is a birth certificate. You don't have to go through the hassle of changing your name for that. Be informed o!

Question Two: Can I relocate to Canada or anywhere else as a couple if my hubby and I do not bear same names?

Answer: Yes! Hubby and I bear different names. We relocated to Canada with our application bearing separate names. This was never an issue. The Visa officer didn't ask us for ADR (additional documentation) to prove our marital status.

All we needed to show as a proof that we were married, was our Marriage certificate issued by the Federal Republic of Nigeria, not the one issued by some random churches. 

I didn't do a change of name. I didn't show any newspaper publication or anything else. I didn't even change the name on my international passport. 

People said a whole lot; your application would be denied, go and do a change of name .. but the legal proof of a marriage is not a change of name or even a newspaper publication, (anyone can have that), however, not everyone can have a marriage certificate. 

Question three: Would my (our) visa be denied because I don’t bear same names with my child?

Answer: Nobody denies you or your child a Visa because you don't bear the same names with your child now. These people are learned and very informed. They understand that parents, especially mothers don't bear same names with their children or spouses. 

See, women don't bear same names with their children and husbands and their visas (including those of their children) are not denied because of this singular reason.

Don’t be forced to do a name change if you don’t want to. Neither should you be forced because somebody has fabricated lies for you and told you that you will have immigration issues later in the future. Familiarize yourself with immigration laws of the country you’re visiting. 

If you wanna change your name, please change it in peace. Stop forcing others to change theirs. You’re not more eligible to heaven because you bear your hubby’s name. (Some of you are kuku not married to good men self)

Here are the comments below

Comment, Share and Follow

Content created and supplied by: Festus_Oguekwe (via Opera News )

Federal Republic of Nigeria Nigeria Nigerian


Load app to read more comments