Love for the community we live in
- Organize a school collection for the local food bank. They need food all year long, not just at Christmas. (In cold climates, a warm socks and gloves drive for shelters is also a great idea.) Children can create flyers or newsletters about the collection using WriteReader and distribute or post them throughout the school.
- Visit a local seniors’ home. Children can make a few cards ahead of time to hand out to the seniors. They need not be Valentine’s cards; just something to bring a smile to their face and make them feel loved.
- Write welcome notes to new refugees and immigrants.
Love for animals
- Write about pets and how much we love them. Write about how pets show their love to us.
- Research and write about endangered species and what we can do to protect them. Note: Even young children can engage in research by watching videos.
Love of country
- Students can write out the lyrics of their national anthem (home nation or new country).
- Children can create cards for military service men and women.
Love the earth
- Write about the dwindling bee population. Buy some native wildflower seeds to plant in the spring. Research and write about these flowers.
- Talk about environmental concerns together. Write about how small actions can have a big impact if we all do it.
Content created and supplied by: Gidziaccept. (via Opera News )