Sign in
Download Opera News App

 

 

Never Smell Or Eat Potatoes When You Notice This.

Let me start this article by narrating a real-life incident. A very sad incident that happened in Russia. Unfortunately, four people were killed, including an 18 years old boy. The cause of this tragedy is one that you will never expect.

After investigations by the police; it was revealed that the family had stockpiled foodstuffs in their basement. The husband went to the basement to get some of the foodstuffs but he did not return for a long time. After a while, the wife got worried and went down to check what was causing the husband’s delay, but she suffered the same fate. Their 18 years old son had no choice but to check the basement too. He too did not return either. The grandmother, fearing an unknown danger in the basement, called for help from her neighbors. However, before the neighbors arrived, she also decided to check out what was happening in the basement. She also did not return.

Are you wondering what was happening in the basement? Well, there was no serial killer in the basement. Instead, the culprits were poisonous fumes emitted from green potatoes and rotting potatoes. The potatoes in the basement were so scorched that they had become poisonous.

Rotting potatoes give off a noxious solanine gas that can make people unconscious if they inhale enough of this gas. There have even been cases of people dying in their storerooms due to unbeknownst rotting potatoes. If you have rotten potatoes at home, they can be deadly. Solanine gas, which is emitted by rotten potatoes, can cause unconsciousness and even death. This was the cause of death for the aforementioned family.

In addition, in spite of the fact that potatoes usually contain a very little amount of solanine, the toxin increases in abundance when potatoes are exposed to light. Exposure to light causes the layer under the skin of the potato to turn green. Although the green color itself is harmless chlorophyll, it is an indicator of the presence of solanine.

Naturally, potatoes are not green because they grow beneath the soil surface. This is the reason why potatoes should always be stored in complete darkness.

If enough solanine is consumed from green potatoes, the toxin can cause vomiting, diarrhea, headaches, paralysis of the central nervous system, coma, and in rare cases, death. How much is too much? This depends on the ratio of body weight to toxin ingested, and each person’s individual tolerance to alkaloid toxins. For a small child, it may only take a small amount, whereas an adult may have to ingest several green potatoes to feel the effects. The best way to avoid solanine poisoning is to avoid eating green potatoes. Also take note that boiling green potatoes does not get rid of the accumulated solanine and it is still poisonous even after boiling them.

Content created and supplied by: Caesar (via Opera News )

Russia

COMMENTS

Load app to read more comments