Sign in
Download Opera News App

News Society

 

Natural disaster

 

Flood

Flood Alert; Thunderstorms, Rains To Hit Accra, Tema, Takoradi This Afternoon

A report shared by the Ghana Meteorological Agency had warned that the southern part of the country would be hit by some thunderstorms and rains. Ranging from a possibility of forty (40) to sixty (60) percentage of occurrence areas such as Accra, Tema, Cape Coast, Aflao and Takoradi would be hit by these weather conditions.


Axim and Takoradi in the Western Region of Ghana shall be most hit with 60 percent chances of rain fall amid thunderstorms. For Accra, Tema, Kasia and Cape Coast areas, the probability is 40 percent.


Signed under his hand, Deputy Forecaster att he Ghana Meteorological Agency, David Mensah indicated in the report that almost every part of the country would be cloudy this evening with temperatures falling as low as 27 degrees Celsius.


This report cannot be ignored as the agency had warned that rainfall patterns shall be very intense this year. Already, the country has had its terrible experience of perennial floods in Kumasi, Accra and Takoradi.


Preventing Floods In Ghana


As reported by the Minister for Works and Housing, Francis Asenso-Boakye, the state has spent a whopping Two Hundred and Thirty Million Ghana Cedis (GHC 230,000,000.00) over the past four (4) years in proving proper drains in the country.

His predecessor, Samuel Atta Kyea indicated in parliament in 2020 that the surest way to addressing the country's perennial floods is to construct subterranean drains and bit the open drains as we have since 'colonial era'.


In his pronouncement of the investment required to undertake this corrective measure, Mr. Atta Kyea indicated a total of Ten Billion Dollars ($10 billion) will enable the country reconstruct drains across the country to that modern standard.


This arguably, is an amount that the public kitty cannot finance. It thus calls for some innovative financing to address this problem.


At least, works could begin in Accra, Kumasi, Takoradi and Axim where this floods are predominant.


Choked Gutters/Drains

As much as we prepare for the rainy season, Ghanaians are being reminded that any obstruction in drains or gutters could cause any running water to gush into other areas and destroy properties.


The Environmental Health Officers at the various district assemblies and the National Disaster Management Authority would have to reinforce their checks and education at communities to avoid potential crisis. Each year lives and properties valued in millions are lost to these floods.

At this moment it would be most productive to have regular cleaning and desolating if drains to ensure the free-flow of rain water so as to mitigate flooding.

Content created and supplied by: Tinchie (via Opera News )

Accra Cape Coast Ghana Ghana Meteorological Agency Takoradi

COMMENTS

Load app to read more comments