Sign in
Download Opera News App

 

 

Renewed ethnic disturbances, police arrest five persons

The security agencies have acted swiftly and decisively to tackle the threat to security in the Bawku municipality by arresting five people, believed to be linked to the latest disturbances in the area.

Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) David Fianko-Okyere, Head of Public Affairs of the Upper East Regional Police Command, confirming the arrest, said the five had been interrogated and would be put before court.

He promised that the public would be provided with an update of things.

A shooting incident in Bawku was met with the imposition of a raft of restrictions to prevent, what could have been bloody ethnic clashes.

The people cannot be on a night out. They are to remain indoors from 4 p.m. to 6 a.m.

They are also prohibited from carrying fire arms and other deadly weapons. They are additionally, forbidden from wearing smock, a traditional dress.

These measures, according to the authorities have become necessary to protect lives and property.

The Interior Ministry, announcing the 4 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew said the imposition of the curfew was in response to a shooting incident on Tuesday, November 23.

The Ministry added that there was a real threat of insecurity in the municipality.

The Upper West Regional Security Council (REGSEC), following an emergency meeting, has also banned the people from wearing smock in the Bawku township with immediate effect.

This was contained in a statement signed by Stephen Yakubu, the Regional Minister.

The measure has been taken to stop criminals and unscrupulous elements from hiding arms and ammunition in the traditional dress to attack their opponents and innocent people.

This directive by the RESEC is going to be rigidly enforced by the Municipal Security Committee (MUSEC) and the people must have to comply until further notice.

The statement warned that anybody who breached the directive “will be dealt with accordingly”.

Peter Lanchene Toobu, the Member of Parliament (MP), has expressed discomfort with the recurring ethnic conflicts in Bawku and he is urging the people to give the peace a chance.

They should say enough is enough and draw a line under the unending ethnic clashes.

He said it was time the root cause of the troubling conflict was found so that there would be a lasting solution.

He reminded the people to recognize that whatever problems they had could only be solved by themselves.

Speaking to an Accra-based radio station, the MP said “nobody from outside Bawku” would be able to resolve the problem of the area for them. “We should bear with the consequences and be prepared that it will reoccur but if we are bold to hold the bull by the horn and say this is wrong and let us agree, I am sure it will be resolved.”

There must come a time when people must say enough is enough.

Content created and supplied by: KyeretwienanaOseiBonsu (via Opera News )

ASP Bawku David Fianko-Okyere

COMMENTS

Load app to read more comments