(1) We all know very well that if we do not eat we shall rapidly lose in weight , and become very weak and feeble .
(2) Our bodies are composed of what we eat .If we eat bad food , our bodies will be made of poor material , and will not be able to do their work well. So you see how important it is to learn something about our foods .We ought to know what things are good for us to eat , and what will do us harm .
(3) Foods and Poisons .--Foods are those substances which nourish the body and keep it in good working order. Poisons are those foods which we eat and they harm our bodies.
(4) Our foods are obtained from both animals and plants but in these last days it is advisable to use plant foods and discard all animal products ..
All food really comes from plants even animals eat plants to furnish people with beef and milk ..Chickens eat corn and other grains to give us chicken meat and eggs ..So let us come to the vegetarian diet .
..We obtain more foods kinds of food from plants than from animals .Most plant foods are included in these three classes
(c) Vegetables .
(6) FRUITS are the fleshly parts of plants which contain the seeds .Our most common fruits are apples , peaches etc Tomatoes , water melons and pumpkin 's are also fruits ..
(7) The seeds of grass-like plants are known as grains , of which we have wheat , Rye , barley , corn and rice .There are a few seeds that grow in pods , such as peas and beans , which some what resemble grains
(8) We eat th leaves , stems , or roots of some plants , as cabbages , celery , turnips and potatoes .Foods of this kind are called vegetables
(9) There are other things , which if we eat or drink them , will make us sick or otherwise do us harm .These are called poisons .Only such food as is pure and free from poisons is good or safe for us to use .
(10) Narcotics and Stimulants .-There are a number of substances known as narcotics and stimulants , which , from their effects upon the body , may be classed as poisons .Tobacco , opium , alcohol , and choral are included in this class .Death has been caused by taking small quantities of any of these poisonous drugs .We shall learn more of the effects of tobacco and alcohol in future lessons
..UNHEALTHILY FOODS .
(1) .Most persons eat many things that are not good for them .Some people do not stop to think whether what they eat is good for them or likely to do them harm .Sometimes we eat foods that are harmful to us
..Let us learn to find out what is good for us and what is harmful
(2) Diseased Foods When a person is sick , he is said to be diseased .Animals are sometimes sick or diseased .Vegetables are also diseased .Animals and vegetables that are diseased are not good for food .Dishonest men sometimes sell them to those who do not know that they are unfit to be eaten .
(3) Pork , the flesh of the hog , is more likely to be diseased than any other kind of animal food.
(4) Beef and mutton may be diseased also. Sheep and cattle are sometimes sick of diseases very much like those which human beings have .Meat which is pale , yellowish , or of a dark red color , is unhealthy , and should not be eaten .Meat should never be eaten raw .Ot should always be well cooked .
(5) Unripe Foods .--Most vegetable foods are unfit to be eaten when green or unripe , especially if uncooked .Sometimes persons are made very sick indeed by eating such articles as green apples or unripe peaches (6) Stale or Decayed Foods .Food which has been allowed to stand until it is spoiled , or has become stale, musty , or mouldy , such as mouldy bread or fruit , or tainted meat , is unfit to be eaten , and is often a cause of very severe sickness .Canned fish or other meats spoil very quickly after the cans are opened , and should eaten the same day .
(7) Adulterated Foods ..Many of our foods are sometimes spoiled or injured by persons who put into them cheap substances which are harmful to health .They do this so as to make more money in selling them.This is called adulteration .The foods which are most likely to be injured by adulteration are milk , sugar and butter .
(8) Milk is most often adulterated by adding water , though sometimes other things are added .Sometimes the water is not pure , and people may get sick and die .The adulteration of milk or any other food is a very wicked practice
(9) Butter is sometimes made almost wholly from lard or tallow .This is called oleomargarine or butterine. If the lard or tallow is from diseased animals , the false butter made from it may cause disease
(10) Condiments or Seasonings - These are substances which are added to our food for the purpose of giving to it special flavors .Condiments are not foods , because they do not nourish the body in any way , and are not necessary to preserve it in health .
(12) the most common condiments are , must, pepper -sauce , ginger , cayenne - pepper and spices .All these substances are irritating .If we put mustard upon the skin , it will make the skin red , and in a little time will raise a blister .If we happen to get a little pepper in the eye , it makes it smart and become very red and inflamed. When we take these things into the stomach , they cause the stomach to smart , and it's lining membrane becomes red just as the skin or the eye does .
(13) Nature has to put into our foods very nice flavors to make us enjoy them.Condiments are likely to do us great harm , hence it is far better not to use them .
(14).Tobacco -Most of you know that tobacco is obtained from a plant which has long , broad leaves .These leaves are dried and then rolled up in cigars , ground into snuff or prepared for chewing .
(15) Tobacco has a smarting , sickening taste .Do you think it would be good to eat ? Why not ?
(16) You know that tobacco makes people sick when they begin to first used it .This is because it contains a very deadly poison , called nicotine .
(17) If you give tobacco to a dog or cat , it will become very sick .A boy once gave a piece of tobacco to a monkey , which swallowed it not knowing what a bad thing it was .The monkey soon became sick and died
(18) Many learned doctors have noticed the effects which come from.using tobacco, and they all say it does great harm to boys , that it makes puny and weak , and prevents their growing up into strong and useful men.If tobacco is not good for boys , do you think it can be good for men ? Certainly you will say (NO).
--Credits to Dr.Kellogg
And Bible Worker Br.FRIDAY
Content created and supplied by: Dihyab (via Opera News )