Since 1966, the IGP has been the highest rank in the Ghana Police Service. Before that, the Head of Policing In The Gold Coast between 1831 and 1893 was the highest rank. Between 1893 and 1966, The Commissioner of Police was the highest rank, before in 1966, it was changed to an IGP as the highest rank of the service.
Below is the list if all IGPs from the first, John Willie Kofi Harlley in 1966 to George Akuffo Dampare in 2021.
1. The first IGP of Ghana was John Willie Kofi Harlley, who served from 25 February 1966 – 3 September 1969.
(John Willie Kofi Harlley)
2. Bawa Andani Yakubu from 23rd September 1969 to 12th June 1971.
3. R. D. Ampaw from 14th June 1971 to 13th January 1972.
4. J. H. Cobbina from 13th January 1972 to 29th September 1974.
5. Ernest Ako from 30th September 1974 to 7 July 1978.
6. Benjamin Samuel Kofi Kwakye from 17th July 1978 to 4th June 1979.
7. C. O. Lamptey from 5th June 1979 to 27th November 1979.
8. F. P. Kyei from 27th November 1979 to 6th October 1981.
9. R. K. Kugblenu from 6 October 1981 to 9th March 1984
10 S. S. Omane from 9th March 1984 to 12th June 1986.
11. Christopher Komla Dewornu from 12 June 1986 to 31st December 1989.
12. J. Y. A Kwofie from 1 January 1990 – 30th September 1996.
13. Peter Tenganabang Nanfuri from 1st October 1996 to 21st January 2001.
14. Ernest Owusu-Poku from 22 January 2001 to 21 July 2001.
15. Nana Owusu-Nsiah from 22 July 2001 to March 23rd 2005.
16. Patrick Kwateng Acheampong from 25 March 2005 to 28th January 2009.
17. Elizabeth Mills-Robertson (acting) from 28th January 2009
18. Paul Tawiah Quaye from 16th May 2009 to 1st February 2013.
19. Mohammed Ahmed Alhassan from 5 February 2013 to 9th November 2015.
20.John Kudalor from 19 February 2016 to 25th January 2017.
21. David Asante-Apeatu from 25th January 2017 to 22nd July 2019.
22. James Oppong-Boanuh from October 2019 - August 2021.
23. George Akuffo Dampare effective 1 August 2021 to Present.
(George Akuffo Dampare)
Of all the 23, a whooping 22 of them are men. The one and only woman of them served as the acting IGP in January 2009, occupying the position of the highest rank of the Ghana Police Service.
Of the 23, which one of them was the IGP when your were 18 years of age. Kindly drop the name in the comments session below.
Thanks for reading to this point.
Content created and supplied by: MissChris (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More