The thirty-one-year-old has being sentenced to 15 years imprisonment for stealing company's money for alleged sports betting.
The judge on who saw the case gave 20 years but after several considerations reduced it by five. The lawyer of the accused did not show up during the trail.
The accused's mother laments upon hearing the sentenced.
After further investigations, the accused revealed his inability to deposit the money into the company's account and said he used the money for sports betting.
Mr. Yaw Opoku Acheampong, judge, in a 30-minute sentence said he would have sentenced the accused to 20 years imprisonment but the convict, throughout the trial showed remorse for his action and that influence him to give a 15-year sentence.
The accused was also asked by the court to repay all the Gh¢139,118 even after his sentence. He swept uncontrollably upon hearing the verdict.
He said that he had no intention of stealing the money but was only investing it into betting but unfortunately lost all of his bets.
1. The prosecution indicated that the convict was employed at Star Oil Company in Hohoe on November 17, 2012 as a washing bay manager and a pump attendant before rising through the ranks to become a branch supervisor for the same company on March 3, 2018.
2. In November 19, 2019, he failed to produce produce receipts of payment of sales made from November 11, 2019, to November 19, 2019.
3. A report was then lodged against him at the Hohoe Police Station on November 19, 2019 and he was detained.
3. After an audit was made following his crime, it was found that the amount GH¢139,118 was missing from the company's coffers.
4. On Wednesday April 14, he was sentenced to 15 years imprisonment and also demanded to repay the stolen money.
A lot of people describe his action as being influence by evil spirit, explaining that, "how can you spent GH¢139,118 on bet.."
Content created and supplied by: SPORTS.BBC (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More