The SIM Card reregistration exercise is scheduled to end today, September 30 after the initial July 31 deadline was extended by two months.
While announcing the new deadline on Sunday, July 31, 2022, the Minister for Communication Madam Ursula Owusu-Ekuful said the decision to extend the deadline became necessary following delays on the roll out of a self-servicing registration application.
The said self-service registration app, known as "GhanaSimRegistration App" has since been launched and available on Google and iOS platforms.
Despite the registration ending today, many people have still not been able to register their SIM cards due to some difficulties they are facing in acquiring their GhanaCards, the only identification document accepted for the registration.
The National Identification Authority (NIA) , the body mandated to register and issue the GhanaCard had earlier said it cannot resolve all issues surrounding the Ghana Card registration before the September 30 deadline.
The Executive Secretary of the NIA Professor Kenneth Agyemang Attafuah says his outfit was not established to operate by deadlines set out by anybody and that they are mandated to do their work in perpetuity.
“NIA is an organization set up in perpetuity. What that means is that we are to deliver our mandate pretty much the same like the hospital or a maternity ward that people go there as and when they need to’, he said on the Ghana Tonight show aired on TV3 two months ago.
Should the Ministry of Communication and the National Communication Authority (NCA) fail to extend the deadline for the second time, all persons who have not been able to register the Sim cards may lose their sims or suffer some other punitive measures.
The Ministry in concert with the NCA and the Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) has earlier directed that all outgoing calls and data services for person who have not yet reregister their SIM cards should be blocked for 2 days every week, but that directive was quickly withdrawn following public outcry and filing of legal suits against them.
Member of Parliament for Ningo Prampram, who doubles as ranking member for the Communication Committee of Parliament, Sam Nartey George has always insisted that the NCA and the Communication Ministry cannot block SIM Cards in the country because there is no law backing that action.
He argues that considering that many people have connected the mobile numbers to their bank accounts and perform digital transactions, blocking SIM cards will be detrimental to the Government's effort to raise more money as revenues targeted from the E-levy will further dip.
With the registration coming to an end today, the nation awaits to see what measures or actions the NDC and the Communication Ministry will take on those who have not yet registered their SIM cards.
Content created and supplied by: OPolitics (via Opera News )
Opera News is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Opera News. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Opera News. Opera News does not consent to nor does it condone the posting of any content that violates the rights (including the copyrights) of any third party, nor content that may malign, inter alia, any religion, ethnic group, organization, gender, company, or individual. Opera News furthermore does not condone the use of our platform for the purposes encouraging/endorsing hate speech, violation of human rights and/or utterances of a defamatory nature. If the content contained herein violates any of your rights, including those of copyright, and/or violates any the above mentioned factors, you are requested to immediately notify us using via the following email address operanews-external(at)opera.com and/or report the article using the available reporting functionality built into our Platform See More